The University of Dayton will make its 25th appearance in the National Invitational Tournament on Tuesday when the Flyers travel to Boulder for a first-round match-up versus the University of Colorado. Game time is 11 p.m. ET.
Dayton is 21-11 overall this season and finished third in the Atlantic 10 with a 13-5 record. The Flyers were eliminated from the A-10 tournament in the quarterfinals by eventual champion Saint Louis.
The game will be carried by WHIO Radio and televised on ESPN2. Streaming audio, streaming video and stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• UD is 40-22 in 24 previous trips to the NIT. Dayton has won the NIT championship three times (1962, 1968 and 2010) and finished runner-up five times.
• Four Flyers earned All-Atlantic 10 honors last week. Obi Toppin was named Rookie of the Year and First Team All-Atlantic 10. He was the first Flyer named Rookie of the Year, and the first freshman named to the first team in 20 years. Josh Cunningham and Jalen Crutcher were named to the third team. Ryan Mikesell was Academic All-Atlantic 10.
• After winning just one road game a year ago, Dayton won seven this season. In fact, the Flyers won more road games (7) in conference than home games (6) for the first time ever.
• Obi Toppin has seven A-10 weekly honors this year, the most of anyone in the A-10 this season. He was named Rookie of the Week the last three weeks of the regular season.
• Toppin broke the Flyer record for dunks in a season with the first of six he had on the night at UMass (four came on consecutive possessions). Chris Wright’s old record was 66, and Toppin now has 80, which is second in the nation (eight behind Arkansas’ Daniel Gafford).
• Toppin is fifth in the nation in field goal percentage, behind Duke’s Zion Williamson, Gonzaga’s Brandon Clarke, Liberty’s Scottie James and Holy Cross’ Jehve Floyd. Toppin is shooting .662 (192-290).
• Cunningham is eighth in FG% (.642, 154-240). No other team has two players in the top 15, and only one other (Gonzaga) has two in the top 25.
• Dayton is third in the NCAA (behind Gonzaga and South Dakota State) and leads the Atlantic 10 in FG% (.503, 872-1734). UD shot .633 (31-49) at Rhode Island.
• Mikesell leads the team in +/- (+7.97 per game.) After scoring 20 points once in the first 70 games of his Flyer career, he has four in his last 15 games. He is averaging 12.5 points per game over his last eight games.
• Jalen Crutcher is the quarterback of the A-10’s top-scoring offense (72.9 ppg). Crutcher is second in the league in assists (5.7) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.04). He led UD with 18 points in the Saint Louis game in Brooklyn at the A-10 tournament.
• The winner of Tuesday’s game plays the winner between Norfolk St.- Alabama in the NIT second round.