The University of Dayton’s return to post-season play ended after one game in the 2019 NIT, as the Flyers fell 78-73 at Colorado University in Boulder on Tuesday night.
Redshirt freshman Obi Toppin led four Dayton players in double figures with a game-high 21 points. He was joined in double digits by Jalen Crutcher (14 points), Ryan Mikesell (13) and Jordan Davis (12).
UD ends the season 21-12 overall.
First Half: Colorado 37, Dayton 35
- Neither team could get more than a one-possession advantage in the game’s first seven minutes.
- Dayton took its largest lead (23-15) with 10:31 left in the first half, and led by seven (30-23) at the 5:52 mark.
- A 10-0 run by CU regained the lead for the hosts, and the Buffs outscored the Flyers 14-5 to lead by two at the break.
Second Half: Colorado 78, Dayton 73
- The Flyers were able to push back out to another seven-point advantage (50-43) in the first five-and-a-half minutes of the second half, but Colorado re-took the lead with an 8-0 run.
- Beginning with the 12-minute mark, there were seven lead changes and four ties over the next six minutes.
- Colorado again took control at the end of the period, scoring 12 of the game’s last 20 points in the last 4:12 of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Obi Toppin was 9-for-12 from the field, including 2-of-3 from beyond the arc, en route to his 21-point performance.
- Toppin also led UD with six rebounds.
- Jalen Crutcher added five assists (against just one turnover) to go with his 14 points.
- Dayton shot .545 (30-55) from the field for the game, but was out-rebounded 34-29 and committed 11 turnovers (compared to seven for Colorado).
- Dayton returns all but two players – Josh Cunningham and Jack Westerfield — from this year’s team, including players who scored 68 of UD’s 73 points at Colorado.
- After meeting only once since 1987, Dayton and Colorado will meet again next season, at the United Center in the Chicago Legends doubleheader on Dec. 21.